President's Message Winter 2009
Dear AIA Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter Members:
What will this year entail? Speculation and uncertainty for most… Amidst all of the questions, I look forward to serving you and begin by offering a sense of direction and goals. I would like to remind everyone what our past president John Young, AIA said. ‘As architects, we have a very meaningful role in contributing to the quality of our surrounding living communities; to commit yourselves and your firms to mentor the young professionals emerging within our profession. Please continue to pass on your knowledge; in return you will receive inspiration.’
AIA National and AIA Central PA have much to offer! The current state of affairs has been evaluated and programs are being offered to give guidance through 2009. One of these beneficial resources is:
Joint Chapter Meeting with CSI, January 21, 2009 – “Building Information Modeling – BIM”
Once again, thanks to the efforts of Gene Berg, AIA. All design award submissions have been posted on our web site and the awarded submissions have been published in a two page centerfold layout in the Eastern Pennsylvania Business Journal. To access the many membership benefits, visit our website at http://aiaeasternpa.org. Here are some of things you will find on our website:
- Save the Date! – Calendar of events for the entire year. Plan for your CEU credits!
- The latest News!
- New NCARB Exam
- President’s Message
- Old newsletter
- Membership Benefits
- Architect finder
- Special Events
- Design Awards – Pictures and information
- Allied members
- Contact information and direct links to their websites
- Application to become an Allied member
- Government Advocacy – Stay in tune with what may be affecting you!
- AIA PA and AIA National direct links
- Access to your transcripts
- Contact Us
- AIA Career Center
- Chapter Officers and contact information
- All 2008 Design Award Entrants with photographs and information!
- AIA 4.0 study book lending library – tell your interns!
- Chapter Coloring book – share this with your local community!
In 2007, AIA National challenged each chapter to host ‘Blueprint for America.’ We followed through with a Community Design Charrette for Penn Street in Reading. In 2008 we hosted a student/Architect team design charrette to highlight the upcoming solar decathlon, 2009. We hope everyone will join us as we continue promoting the virtues of a sustainable built community.
New CES Requirements
Effective January 1, 2009, AIA’s annual education requirements include a minimum of four hours of education in sustainable design within the mandated annual 18 learning units. The four hours of sustainable design education must be part of the eight hours currently allocated for Health, Safety, and Welfare (HSW) education. Remember, attending Chapter meetings will help in fulfilling these requirements.
The issue of climate change and the impact of buildings on carbon emissions have created a new expectation among clients and the public to look to the expertise of architects for solutions to help them leave a greener footprint. Our goal is to help prepare our colleagues and fellow practitioners for the latest challenges and opportunities facing the profession.
News from AIA National …
Your Voice Can Make a Difference – AIA has launched Rebuild & Renew, a bold agenda to offer the skills and experience of America’s architects to the next administration.
- Fund the modernization and rehabilitation of our nation’s schools
- Increase incentives for green commercial, residential, and government building construction
- Provide funding for ready-to-go transit and mixed-use development projects
- Preserve America’s historic buildings by financing projects already in the pipeline
The AIA is asking its more than 83,000 members to take simple but crucial steps to be heard. Learn more about our Rebuild & Renew agenda and how you can get involved. We have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help lead the way toward economic prosperity and a better, greener, and more vibrant built environment. Please take action today. Together, we can create a more prosperous and sustainable future for all Americans.
AIA 2009 National Convention
This year’s theme – The Power of Diversity: Practice in a Complex World
The AIA is offering an additional 5 % discount off your convention fees when you register. To receive this discount, enter the promo code MEMBER when registering.
In closing, as a New Year’s Resolution, I ask you to follow through with the following:
- Attend our once a month chapter meetings – not only is it a great time to share experience and socialize with your peers, more importantly, you will gain information and earn your required CEU credits.
- Do things in your community like volunteering to help an organization or being a mentor.
Wishing you all peace, prosperity and perspective for the New Year!
Sylvia B. Deye’, AIA
AIA Eastern PA